Monday, May 14, 2018

Freedom of Music

A close friend once told me that Eric Clapton didn't have the right to play blues because he was from a mysterious far away place, England. I will have to say that I am offended at that type of thinking. Have we come so far that we think we can delegate who can sing and play the blues? That it only belongs to the delta area, the southern states, to Tennessee, specifically Memphis and Nashville? Does the blues only belong to B.B. King, or Ray Charles? Does it only belong to only one or two different ethnic groups?

Blues belongs to everyone, everywhere on the planet. It is the purest of music, playing it or singing it put the musician in contact with their emotions. I am always happy when I play the blues or listen to the blues, because it gives me the chance to express my deepest desires, emotions and dreams that is translated to the musical instrument I am playing at the time, bass, piano, guitar or simply singing something from the heart.

Blues should be shared with your friends, other musicians and with the world. If you have never tried the blues, remember it's there for you my friend.

Gordy

No comments: